Still Life Session
It’s well documented that art has a powerful effect on the emotional and mental wellbeing of people living with dementia, so encouraging creativity wherever possible is fantastic.
Painting is a lovely, relaxing activity for people to do quietly on their own away from all distractions. But it’s also fun to do in a group, as everyone can chat and encourage one another.
If the weather is nice, why not set up this activity in the garden and enjoy a little sunshine?
- Variety of fruit
- A table
- A basket
- Coloured pencils
- Cartridge paper
- Encourage the group to arrange the fruit in the basket
- Once the arrangement looks good, put a sheet of paper on each person’s easel or place it on the table in front of them (whichever is most accessible for them)
- Hand out a variety of pencils or paints
- Encourage them to paint the fruit bowl
- Remind the group that art is completely personal, and no painting can be wrong. Art is always open to interpretation
- It doesn’t matter whether the painting is “good” or not, just encourage them to let their creativity flow and enjoy themselves